Friday, May 8, 2009

Hello and Welcome to An Altitude Problem, where forgetfulness can so easily lead to frustration. How many times have I forgotten my ski pass, when I have gone to snowboard? There was that time when I was supposed to meet those people, got all my gear on, even changed clothes in the parking lot, then realized i didnt have my pass, so i just went home instead...and the time the liftie let me on anyway (that was a good day) and the time I got teased because I was snowboarding in my shorts, and my pass was in my snowpants back at the house, and the time I tried to replace it because it was at home in the bathroom drawer and they couldnt find me in their system, and totally thought I was trying to pull a fast one on them. And once in the five years we have lived up here, i forgot my snowpants, and the girls group I was with called me "gaper" all day because I was skiing in my jeans, and twice or three times, I have made it part of the way or even all the way to the lift without my snowboard.

I did it again this morning. Grandma Rose called me the other evening to tell me they would be at the Basin this morning, so I got up in time to bike up there. I put my boots, skis and poles on my back, got water and food, strapped my snowpants, gloves and hat onto my bike, mounted and began riding up to the basin, ten miles up the hill from our house. Four miles up the road, in Keystone, just as I was really starting to climb, the feeling that I was forgetting something finally made sense when I realized I did not have my pass. I turned around and pedalled back home, then, out of time, drove to the basin instead. That was discouraging.

It was a good morning, though. We had some good runs before I had to leave at noon. When I came back to the house, I decided I would rather snowboard than ski after all, since my board has spring wax on it now, so I was the only snowboarder out of our group of five (grandma, grandpa, grandpa's daughter Kim and her husband Cameron, and me).

I am trying to do a lot of biking, to kick-start my summer shape. I really want to do some racing this summer for the first time, but the first race is June 9, only a month away. I have a lot of miles to cover between now and then if I want to be competitive at all. After biking the last few days and trail running last night on a loop that was miraculously dry enough to run on, my quads as killing me.

And I just typed a whole line of ////////////////'s, I found after I closed my eyes for just a second. I am going to sleep without my permission. I should just give up and go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment